Sunday, February 15, 2009

En el Corazón en el Día de los Enomorados

For Valentine´s Day I summited an inactive volcano perfectly named "El Corazòn" or "The Heart." I went with el Club de Andinismo or Mountaineering/Adventure Club at my University here. They described it as a "medium physical difficulty and low technical difficulty" hike. When I signed up I was envisioning a challenging but do-able romantic hike with beautiful Andes mountain views making it worth the while. HA! that is not exactly what i got...

The summit is at an altitude of 15, 716 feet. For reference, Mount Washington in New Hampshire is at 6, 288 feet. The highest point in the Rocky Mountain range is Mount Elbert at 14,440 feet. (According to Wikipedia)

In other words, 15,716 feet is reallly high. When I was walking uphill slowly I was breathing as hard as I do when I usually run. It got to the point where I would take one step, breathe in, breathe out, then take another step. Fortunately, there were 3 other Gringos who were happy to hike at my pace. The rest of the group consisted of natives who had lived in Quito (9, 350 feet) for most of their life and hiked all over the Andes. They speed bulleted up the mountain and were constantly waiting for us. Everyone was very nice, patient, and understanding. They made sure we stuck together and although the entire hike took about 9 or 10 hours, we made it!!

On top of not being able to breathe, it was really cold, cloudy, and rained and/or hailed for most of the time. I was very cold and wet. The clouds hid any beautiful landscapes that might be there.

This is me being very cold and very wet. I was not incredibly well prepared for this journey...

However, we were hiking through "El Páramo" ecosystem (translates to the Moor) which boasts very high plant diversity and about 60% of the flora is endemic (exclusively exists there). We saw some really interesting plants. At one point our surroundings looked like it belonged under the ocean with coral-like plants and green spongy plants (we kinda were under water). Unfortunately I was too cold to take my hands out of my gloves and take pictures (also risking water damage to the camera), but I may be able to mooch pics off of others that were braver than I.

Here are some lovely flowers we hiked by. I might be able to tell you more about them when I finish my floral resources class.






This plant, Almohadilla, looks like a rock that is covered with plants but its actually all a very spongy plant. It depresses like 5cm if you step on it. This picture shows the hail bouncing off of it.


I was also excited about my food. My host sister helped me shop for an authentic Ande Mountain hiking meal. It featured Panela, which is pretty much brown sugar in a block form. My host family said that indigeous people and the Ecuatorian Olympic champion walker alike nibble Panela for energy along their vast mountainous treks. I also ate these beans called "Chochos" and toasted corn "Tostados." I also shared cookies called "Amor" with everyone to go along with the Valentine theme of the day.

Sooo while it definitely wasn´t the most romantic Valentines Day I´ve ever had, it was quite an adventure.
Lunch Time!

Beauuuttiful scenery, isnt it?

This is when trail turned into complete rock....


...that we had to climb straight up.


On the way back down close to the bottom when we finally saw some coudy landscape.

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading all of your posts! Whew! Sounds like you are having a great time. What a wonderful experience. I love reading so keep writing. Take care of yourself. Aunt Nisi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know of a book called "Padre Paramo"? I did not know what Paramo meant til now.. interesting coincidence, I must say! Glad to hear that you are having a good time... :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha you have funny stories. how was your authentic Ande Mountain hiking meal? tasty brown sugar? I am assuming your tostados are different than american tostados...? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...Ive never heard of that book...is it good? does it take place in el páramo?

    I honestly didnt eat much of my food cuz of the altitude. The brown sugar was excellent...probably the only reason i made it to the top of the mountian.

    The tostados here are kinda like popcorn, but not popped...

    ReplyDelete